Sale!
, ,

South End Lawn Tennis Club: 1890-1998

$1.00

The South End Tennis Club was established in 1890, making it one of the oldest such clubs in Nova Scotia and one of the oldest tennis clubs in Canada.

Out of stock

Author: Jim Scriven

80 pages. Published by West Hants Historical Society.

[from South End Tennis Club website] The South End Tennis Club was established in 1890, making it one of the oldest such clubs in Nova Scotia and one of the oldest tennis clubs in Canada. There were originally five grass courts extending from Young Avenue to what is now MacLean Street.

About the Author

Jim Scriven has been involved in tennis in Nova Scotia since 1947 as a player, coach and administrator, He first joined the South End in 1957 where he immediately became involved in organizing the Club’s participation in the “Big Six” inter-club league. In 1961 he became Secretary-Treasurer of the Club and served in that capacity for the next six years. In 1975 he was elected President of the Club where he served for the next nineteen years. In 1994 he was elected a “life-member” in recognition and appreciation of his years of service with the South End.

In addition to Jim’s association with the South End Club, other tennis related involvement included two terms as President of the Nova Scotia Tennis Association, two years as Honourary Secretary of the Canadian Lawn Tennis Association, and chairman of tennis for the first Canada Games which were held in Halifax in 1969. Besides this administrative involvement he was also an active player over the years and won numerous titles at the junior, open and senior levels of competition.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “South End Lawn Tennis Club: 1890-1998”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top