The county of Hants was established June 17, 1781, on territory taken from Kings County and consisted of the townships of Windsor, Falmouth and Newport. The name Hants is an old abbreviation for the English county of Hampshire, from the Old English name Hantescire.
Welcome to the West Hants Historical Society! Based in Windsor, Nova Scotia, our Museum collects and preserves artifacts and historical information about Hants County. Our Genealogy Library houses a large variety of resources including family histories, school registers, graveyard inscriptions, and more. We are also proud to manage the national historic site of Fort Edward, the oldest surviving wooden blockhouse in Canada. Please join us!