3RD JOB POSTING
Job Title: Research and Genealogy Room Assistant
Location: Windsor, NS
Wage: $11.15 per hour at 35 hours per week (Tuesday-Saturday)
Start Date: June 5, 2018 End Date: August 25, 2018
Deadline to apply is May 2, 2018. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or write to West Hants Historical Society at 281 King Street, PO BOX 2335 Windsor NS B0N 2T0 or visit in person on Wednesdays from 10 am to 3 pm. For more information please email the above address or call 902-798-4706.
1. Greet visitors and maintain visitor statistics;
2. Aid visitors with their research in the Genealogy Room;
3. Ensure library material is filed correctly;
4. Fill out membership forms for any new members;
5. Process new accessions (donation of artifacts);
6. Retrieve and respond to voicemail and email communications,
7. Perform research for researchers unable to visit the Society in person;
8. Write brief articles (1-2 paragraphs in length) to be used on the West Hants Historical Society Blog or newsletter; and
9. To assist with other duties pertaining to the daily running of the Society. This includes: noon hour relief of other student assistances; basic cleaning; and helping with Society events and fundraisers.
1. An interest in local history and research;
2. Strong computer skills
3. Strong writing skills;
4. Good listening skills;
5. Good organizational and time management skills;
6. Attention to detail;
7. The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
8. Previous work/volunteer experience at a museum or historical society is an asset;
9. The ability to speak French is an asset but not required.
The candidate must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is between the ages 15 and 30 years of age, does not have another job which is over 30 hours per week, and must be a full time academic student in the semester preceding this job and intend to return to school full time in the academic semester following the job’s completion.
The West Hants Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer and as such persons with disabilities, visual minorities, and Aboriginal Peoples, and persons of all genders are encouraged to apply.
The West Hants Historical Society is a community based museum and genealogy room that displays the cultural history of one of Nova Scotia's oldest communities. The Society seeks to preserve, present, and promote the rich history of Hants County in relation to the larger history of the Province of Nova Scotia and the nation of Canada. The West Hants Historical Society has well over 1000 artifacts and approximately 1,500 photographs in the collection. Please visit our Facebook page and website for more information about our organization.