2ND Job Posting!
Job Title: Collection Digitization Assistant
Location: Windsor, NS
Wage: $11.15 per hour at 35 hours per week (Tuesday-Saturday)
Start Date: June 5, 2018 End Date: August 25, 2018
Deadline to apply is May 2, 2018. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or write to West Hants Historical Society at 281 King Street, PO BOX 2335 Windsor NS B0N 2T0 or visit in person on Wednesdays from 10 am to 3 pm. For more information please email the above address or call 902-798-4706.
1. Organize the artifact storage area in accordance to preservation standards;
2. Create archival quality images of each artifact/document;
3. Consult each artifacts Accession Papers to retrieve any information about the artifact;
4. Upload digital images and corresponding metadata into the museums collections database (Collective Access);
5. Complete condition reports for each individual artifact;
6. Ensure each artifact is properly labeled;
7. Use the internet, and in-house resources, to update artifact records when necessary;
8. Create Facebook posts designed to increase interest and awareness in the collection;
9. Bachelor with the Museum Gallery Tour Guide to create small displays for the Museum Gallery’s “Temporary Display”;
10. Write brief articles (1-2 paragraphs in length) about the artifacts to be used on the West Hants Historical Society Blog or newsletter;
11. Reach out to the public, and historical experts in the community, to increase knowledge about the history of individual artifacts; and
12. To assist with other duties pertaining to the daily running of the Society. This includes: noon hour relief of other student assistances; answering phones and email inquires; basic cleaning; and helping with Society events and fundraisers
1. Bachelor’s degree or be a current university/college student, ideally with a concentration in history, archival or library studies;
2. An interest in local history and research;
3. Strong computer skills
4. Strong writing skills;
5. Good listening skills;
6. Good organizational and time management skills;
7. Attention to detail;
8. The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
9. Previous work/volunteer experience at a museum or historical society is an asset;
10. The ability to speak French is an asset but not required.
The West Hants Historical Society is a community based museum and genealogy room that displays the cultural history of one of Nova Scotia's oldest communities. The Society seeks to preserve, present, and promote the rich history of Hants County in relation to the larger history of the Province of Nova Scotia and the nation of Canada. The West Hants Historical Society has well over 1000 artifacts and approximately 1,500 photographs in the collection. Please visit our Facebook page and website for more information about our organization. www.westhantshistoricalsociety.ca
The West Hants Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer and as such persons with disabilities, visual minorities, and Aboriginal Peoples, and persons of all genders are encouraged to apply.