- This event has passed.
Heritage Banquet 2016
March 19, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Unearthing our HISTORY
With Archaeologists Jonathan Fowler, Sara Beanlands and Rob Ferguson
Windsor Legion Hall
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Reception: 6:00 p.m.
Roast Turkey Dinner: 6:45 p.m.
Tickets - $25
Much of our history, artifacts and other physical remains left behind by ancestral generations, lies underground and forgotten. Our presenters will describe how they uncover and interpret this history.
They will discuss new technology used in their work, including ground penetrating radar and drone aircraft which were used at Fort Edward.
Jonathan Fowler, who is currently doing research at Grand Pré, will discuss two initiatives. The first being a proposal that will take research into the broader landscape of the south western Minas Basin, where evidence of early colonial activity is abundant but poorly understood and under interpreted.
The second is to undertake field research through an ‘open archaeology’ model that will involve local community members in field research, calling upon local knowledge of potential archaeological sites and local heritage resource management. The objective of the second initiative is to contribute to rural development by informing a sustainable tourism economy in the Annapolis Valley, which includes The Landscape of Grand Pré UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Tickets Available From:
- Reader’s Haven, 40 Water St. Windsor
- Daniels Flower Shop, 40 Water St. Windsor
- On-line via credit card: firstname.lastname@example.org Leave your name and number of tickets required. You will receive an on-line invoice. Your tickets will be held for you at the Banquet.
- Or call:
- Historical Society, 902 798-4706 (leave message)
- John Wilson, 902 798-2823
- Elliott Daniels, 902 798 7335